What are the Creative Industries?
The creative industries refer to a broad sector that encompasses various activities and businesses primarily focused on the creation, production, and distribution of creative and cultural goods and services. They include (but aren’t limited to).
- Visual Arts – This includes activities such as painting, sculpture, photography, and graphic design.
- Performing Arts -This involves live performances such as theatre, dance, music, and opera.
- Film and Television – This sector covers the production, distribution, and exhibition of films, television shows, and documentaries.
- Publishing – This includes the production of books, magazines, newspapers, and digital publications.
- Advertising and Marketing – This sector focuses on creating and promoting products and services through various media channels, including digital advertising, branding, and public relations.
- Design – Encompassing a wide range of fields like fashion design, interior design, industrial design, and architectural design.
- Music and Sound Recording – Covering the creation and distribution of music, including songwriting, recording, music production, sound engineering, radio broadcasting, podcasting and livestreaming.
- Video Games and Interactive Media – This includes the development of video games, virtual reality experiences, and interactive digital content.
- Crafts and Artisanal Production – Involving the creation of handmade and artisanal products, such as ceramics, textiles, and jewellery.
- Cultural Heritage – Focusing on the preservation and promotion of cultural heritage, including museums, galleries, libraries, and cultural events.
- Software and Creative Technology – Covering software development for creative purposes, animation, special effects, theatre production (sound and lighting), projection and digital art tools.
- Architecture and Urban Planning – Encompassing architectural design, urban planning, and landscape architecture.
The creative industries contribute to cultural and economic growth, employment, and innovation while shaping and reflecting the culture of societies.
- Impact Community Address pressing issues and shape a better future for everyone in your community.
- Build Networks Connect with like-minded peers, expand your networks, with guidance from experienced mentors.
- Embrace Creativity Horizons fosters a fun and creative environment where you can explore and express your ideas, and enjoy every moment.
- It’s Free! It won’t cost you a cent – in fact, we’ll pay you a small stipend for your involvement and cover approved travel expenses and material costs.
Who’s it For?
- aged between 16-27 (as of 10 November, 2023);
- keen to establish or develop a career in creativity;
- live in Shellharbour, Kiama, or Shoalhaven.